In this article, we will teach a proper way of Converting QuickBooks Windows company file to QuickBooks Mac Company file in case you want to switch from QuickBooks to QuickBooks for Mac. This particular process is essential to making Windows company file compatible with QuickBooks Mac. If the file is being used without converting then it might not work or may also show you errors. If you are having any trouble converting the company file or any other issue related to QuickBooks then you can contact QuickBooks Technical Support.
If you are moving to QuickBooks For Mac then file conversion can be done by following these recommended steps. Make sure that you follow all steps correctly to avoid data damage. Only use the recommended methods to convert your company file.
- Some data loss can be seen in the converted company file because of feature differences on QuickBooks running on two different operating systems.
- If you are converting your file make sure that you do not add any new transaction before conversion to prevent data loss.
Steps to Converting QuickBooks Windows company file to QuickBooks Mac
Step 1- Updating QuickBooks
Make sure that before proceeding further to convert your company file both of your systems have an updated version of QuickBooks to avoid compatibility issues of the company file.
Step 2- Getting the company file ready for conversion
To properly convert a company file make sure that you remove any possible special character from the memos and remove memos that are longer than 50 characters.
- Open the reports menu in QuickBooks and then select the option “Custom Reports”.
- Select the option “Transaction detail”.
- Click and open the drop-down menu for dates and choose “ALL” and proceed by clicking ok.
- Double click the transaction that has a memo along with them.
- Delete the memo and simply click on Save & Close.
- Repeat these steps on each transaction that has a memo along with them.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 3- Getting the company file converted
Note- Only QuickBooks Pro and Premier are authorized to move company files.
- Open your QuickBooks Company file as an administrator.
- Open the file menu in QuickBooks and chose “Utilities”.
- Select the option “Copy Company file for QuickBooks Mac”.
- It will be prompted that “It looks like” QuickBooks for the windows might be a better option for you. In this case, you need to click on yes.
- Browse the folder you want your converted file to be saved. Simply name your company file and click on save to save the progress. “Do not add any kind of special character like (*&^%$) in the name”.
- Now you have a copy of company file converter for Mac on your computer you can simply move it to portable storage and then transfer it to your Mac Pc.
- Do not try to recover your company file directly from a portable storage location. Save the file locally and then restore the backup.
- this will help you in Converting QuickBooks Windows company file to QuickBooks Mac.
If you are not able to convert your file or facing any issue regarding QuickBooks you can contact QuickBooks Technical Support for Converting QuickBooks Windows company file to QuickBooks Mac.